Service is our driving force
Practical information about transport
What you need to know for a transport
- Blankets and bandages are allowed during the journey or flight but preferably not on the hind legs. Blankets, bandages and jump shoes that have to go with the horse to the destination must at least bear the name of the customer, as well as a postcode. Also packed in a box or bag.
- All horses from Europe travelling to the USA must undergo the following pre-export test. Piroplasmose, Equine Infectious Anemia, Glanders (Kwade Droes) and Dourine. Mares older than 731 days must also undergo a CEM-test.
- (Young) horses, not used to travelling, can lose weight during a trip or flight, because they may suffer from stress. This is despite the fact that we do everything we can to prevent this. Horses that come from a cold climate and travel to a warmer area may need a few days to acclimatize.
- During wagon transport we advise our customers to only put on a thin blanket and not leg protection for horses. Especially during longer transports this can irritate a horse. They sweat underneath and then kick (with the risk of damage) to get rid of leg protection. Vehicles are finished completely smooth, so that a horse can hardly hurt itself anymore.
- During transport, horses must always be chipped (or DNA profile). The driver must also be in possession of the horse’s passport at all times, which states the chip number (or DNA profile) in accordance with the chip.
- Horses are living animals and unfortunately we do not always receive the full ‘story’ with them. Horses therefore travel at the expense and risk of the owner / client. An additional transport insurance is available on request.
- Unfortunately, we see that foals are being weaned from the mare at the moment that one of the two will be transported. In other words, the moment of transport is chosen to wean off. We refuse to transport one of the two at such times. There is undue stress in both while this can be prevented when a foal is taken from the mother a few days earlier. In the context of animal welfare, we want to advise everyone to separate mare and foal well, before transport.
Track & Trace
Your horse travels on a car on which Track & Trace is an obligation. All our vehicles send out a signal every minute that sends speed, place and temperature. When a tailboard opens, all data is sent directly to our office. This way we know at any time where your horse is, how long a journey still takes and how long, for example, a tailboard has been open and in which city and/or postcode area.
If you have any questions during the trip, please contact us and we will, if you wish, keep you informed of the progress of the trip. BSS is a horse transport company that attaches great importance to service. We trust that we can be of service to you with this extra service!
BSS Horses BV is located in the middle of the Netherlands. From there the trucks leave and the horses, if not in the stable of BSS still present, are loaded for the trip. We have many business customers, such as clinics, farriers, mounted police services, Prinsjesdag organisation, airline agents, etcetera. Of course, we also arrange transport for private customers, for example if they have bought or sold a horse.
BSS has 5 trucks, two two pair combinations and accompanying trailers and semi-trailers, which are used to drive all destinations. The capacity of the trailers and semi-trailers varies between 7 and 17 horses. Do you want to know what the layout of the truck looks like? The classification of vehicles can be found here.
Our vehicles meet the latest requirements in the field of safe transport and are equipped in accordance with the legal EU standard. That means:
– Well maintained and modern fleet of exclusively Mercedes Benz Vehicles and 2-horse cars from Renault.
– RDW-EU certificate for transport longer than 8 hours
– Constant Camera monitoring from the cab
– Light and air displacement in the car
– GPS and temperature registration between vehicles and office
– Water supply for the horses
Every week, all our vehicles are cleaned and disinfected to prevent diseases and infections, making our transport attractive, safe and reliable.